Pig in a Day
From nose to tail, this hands-on day will explore every part of the delicious pig.
This practical course is ideal for anyone wanting to learn introductory knife and butcher’s block techniques, or build on existing knowledge. And, what’s more everything you butcher is available to take home!
With the guidance of our expert tutor, you will work with a side of pork learning a range of butchery and knife techniques. Throughout this practical course you will butcher a carcass in to primary cuts, their secondary joints and discover the many culinary uses for each part.
Whether raising your own pig or buying from a butcher, this one-day course will allow you to confidently pair meat cuts to dishes, and be confident in defining which cuts are best for roasts, braises, sausages and much more.
During the course you will learn:
- How to choose good pork based on source, appearance and breed.
- The diverse cuts of fresh pork and their culinary uses.
- Introductory butchery techniques and knife skills.
- Hand cutting and mincing techniques for sausage, stuffing and tying.
- How to prepare and tie a joint for roasting.
- How to make sausages.
All the meat you butcher on the course is available to take home along with sausages produced on the day.
This course includes light refreshments and an informal lunch. All ingredients, equipment and recipes are provided by the school.