Venison in a Day
Venison is a majestic meat, rich in flavour and history. Learn how to butcher a deer and create a range of delicious products and dishes.
Our butchery team will guide you through this practical course dedicated to the king of wild meats. From skinning to salt-curing this hands-on day will teach you how to transform a deer carcass into oven ready cuts.
Using both red and fallow deer from the Welbeck Estate you will learn:
- How to choose venison based on source, appearance, seasonality and breed.
- How to skin and joint a venison carcass.
- The process of hanging and its importance.
- The similarities of venison joints and cuts to those of other animals.
- The methods of larding and barding.
- Simple butchery techniques and knife skills.
- How to seam butcher the venison haunch and saddle.
- How to prepare venison shoulders and neck.
- How to make venison bresaola.
- How to produce venison burgers.
Each student will take home:
- Venison loin
- Venison burgers
- Venison bresaola 'in cure'
This course includes light refreshments and an informal lunch.
All ingredients, equipment and recipes are provided by the School.
'The instructors were very knowledgeable and let us get hands on almost immediately, skinning and butchering a red deer hind and a fallow doe. The recipes in the afternoon were great and there was plenty of produce to take home. Thanks guys.'