Pig in a Day
From nose to tail, this introductory day is guaranteed to be instructive fun as we explore every part of the delicious pig.
The day will begin with an exploration of the pig's journey from farm to table through a discussion of rare breeds and basic pig keeping tips for small holders.
Our expert team will then demonstrate and butcher a side of pork, as you explore the primary cuts, their secondary joints and ensuing culinary uses from nose to tail.
Whether raising your own pig or buying from a butcher, after the morning session you will be more confident in matching meat cuts to dishes. Throughout the afternoon you will work your way from cheek and jowl, used to produce brawn and guanciale (Italian cured jowl bacon revered by chefs), to defining which cuts are best for roasts, braises, sausages, pâtés and terrines.
During the course you will learn:
- How to choose good pork based on source, appearance and breed.
- The diverse cuts of fresh pork and their culinary uses.
- Simple butchery techniques and knife skills.
- Hand cutting and mincing techniques for sausage, stuffing and tying.
- How to make a terrine
- How to stuff and tie a joint for roasting.
Instructor demonstrations include:
- Making a terrine.
- Preparing Italian guanciale or cured pig cheek.
- All about offal, how to use the 'pluck'.
You will make the following products to take home:
- Traditional British sausages
- Small stuffed loin
This course includes light refreshments and an informal lunch.
All ingredients, equipment and recipes are provided by the school.
‘I went here for a "pig in a day" butchery course, which was incredibly well run and a pleasure to attend.’
- Get into Roll up your sleeves and develop your artisan skills with our Get Into courses. Learn the fundamental techniques of producing your very own artisan food and drink, with our range of one, two and three day courses.
- 1 Day (10:00am - 5:00pm)
- Matthew Cockin