Recently pie maker extraordinaire, Kate McDermott, joined our full-time students to share her pie knowledge. Here's one of her delicious pie recipes.
- 340g cranberries, chopped - add some whole berries, too.
- 150g granulated sugar – plus a little extra for sprinkling.
- 3 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A dash of Salt.
- 1 egg.
- 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 1 x pastry recipe - Kate McDermott’s pastry recipe and method can be found by clicking here.
- Pre-heat an oven to 190°C.
- Mix the cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Roll out the bottom crust for the pie and place in pie plate.
- Place the cranberry filling in the pie plate and dot with butter, then set aside.
- In a bowl, beat an egg white with 1 tablespoon of water, then set aside.
- Roll out remaining dough disk into an 11" circle and carefully lay top crust over
- Trim any excess dough, crimp the edges of the pie and cut some vents in the top crust.
- Brush the pastry with the egg mixture and Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until crust is just golden - about 40 minutes at 190°C.
Recipe courtesy of Kate McDermott