Mulled Cider Recipe
Posted on December 09, 2011
Christmas is here and the time has come to raise a glass to the festivities.
Simon Reed, the school's cider expert, shares this spicy cider recipe - perfect for the cold wintery days.
This recipe makes a 1 litre bottle
- 1 litre of real cider from a good artisan supplier (such as Rough Old Wife) – dry preferably
- 1 cup of good brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ crushed cardamom pod
- 2 whole cardamoms
- 4 whole cloves
- In a pan, heat all of the ingredients until just before it begins to simmer (ensure it does not boil)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for an hour or so – this allows the cardamoms and cloves to infuse the liquid
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve and place back in a bottle, or re-heat (do not boil) and serve
- You can pour out a measure from the bottle and heat in the microwave for an instant pick me up
- The bottled mulled cider will keep happily in the fridge over the festive period
Learn more about our cider brewing courses.