Game in a day
Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of game, developing a newfound appreciation for sustainable, seasonal game and gaining expert skills in how to prepare it.
Join our butchery experts on this one-day hands-on course teaching you how to make the most of seasonal British game meat. Using locally sourced game from the Welbeck Estate, you’ll master practical butchery techniques and knowledge to create a wide variety of game dishes.
Our tutors and meat experts Rich Summers and Chris Moorby will share their extensive experience in the butchery industry as you learn:
- how to identify the age of game
- how to determine the best preparation methods
- how to skin and pluck game
- the importance of hanging
- basic game butchery techniques, including trussing and barding of game birds and preparation of saddle of hare and rabbit
- how to confit legs for use in a game terrine
- how best to use offal for pâtés and terrines.
Depending on seasonal availability, you’ll work with the following game from the Welbeck Estate:
- Wood pigeon
- Wild goose
Each student will take home oven-ready game birds and rabbit to cook and enjoy.
No prior game experience is necessary; just enthusiasm and a willingness to work alongside other food lovers.
Refreshments will be available throughout the day, as well as a buffet style lunch prepared by our team of artisan chefs. All ingredients, equipment and recipes will be provided.
Rich Summers & Chris Moorby