This course is the perfect choice for those who want to become or are in the process of becoming professional cheesemakers, or who would like a refresher course on the basics of professional artisan cheesemaking.
This is a structured hands-on course for limited numbers, run over 4 days. It does what it says on the tin; teaches the fundamentals needed to make a great artisan cheese.
Led by world-renowned cheesemaker and educator Ivan Larcher, Artisan Cheesemaking Fundamentals will provide the practical tools and scientific knowledge needed to make small-scale artisanal cheese successfully and consistently. The course will cover managing production and working through various challenges including milk quality and affinage.
There are no pre-requisites for this course, but some knowledge of and experience in cheesemaking or food science is recommended.
This course offers a whole-system perspective on artisan cheesemaking:
- It begins with farm animals, their milk and how to assess milk quality, then dives deep into both the science and art of cheesemaking by exploring raw and pasteurised milk theory, cheese microbiology and biochemistry, starters, coagulants and curdling mechanisms, moulding techniques, food safety and quality measurements/controls, as well as design and equipment for artisan cheese facilities.
- It encourages understanding the importance of using pH meters and titratable acidity measurements correctly, and other techniques and tips to assist in making consistently good quality artisan cheese.
- It involves some hands-on artisanal cheese production - of lactic, soft, and hard cheeses - in our purpose built cheese training facility, under Ivan's supervision.
- It offers an introduction to affinage, focused on ripening cultures, climate control, rind treatment, and handling throughout the ageing process.
- It provides opportunities to ask questions of and seek guidance from Ivan about cheesemaking throughout the course.
- It enjoys dégustation of a selection of artisan cheeses and dairy products.
Refreshments will be available throughout the day, as well as lunch prepared in our kitchen. All ingredients, equipment and recipes will be provided.
10:00 - 17:00