Monthly BBQ Workshops
Our BBQ Workshops are mini masterclasses, each focussed on a different area of barbecue knowhow, allowing you to develop your understanding and take your skills to the next level.
Whether you are a home cook, experienced pitmaster, or professional chef, this course is tailored to all experience levels. For the first time, you now have the opportunity to spend a half day every month of the year discovering a range of new and exciting barbecuing recipes and techniques, each session custom designed to demystify the science of barbecue cooking, while celebrating the fresh produce and festivals specific to the time of year.
Discover new ways to use seasonally available ingredients, sourced locally from the Welbeck Estate and nearby farms and prepared using a variety of techniques including curing and smoking, then cooked on the open fire for you to enjoy in a feast at the end of each day.
You will also have the opportunity to meet local producers and see how to incorporate their products into new and exciting creations including: herbs, fruit and vegetables from Welbeck’s walled kitchen garden or foraged from the Estate; to locally raised meat and dairy; ales from the Welbeck Abbey Brewers; spirits from Drop Works.
Over the course of the year, these half-day masterclasses cover every stage of the artisan food journey: sourcing, butchering, preparing and cooking the finest local and seasonal produce with love and respect.
You will learn to create a range of delicious seasonal products, incorporating traditional ingredients that nature provides at any time of year, which may include:
- The ultimate decadent burger incorporating brisket, bone marrow, and local cheeses
- Seafood including home-cured & smoked salmon, British lobster, and locally-caught fish
- A secret Christmas showstopper to amaze your guests
- Mouthwatering rib recipes using a range of marinades with seasonal foraged ingredients
- Seasonal wild meats including lamb, pork and apple, as well as venison and game birds in season
- A plethora of stunning side dishes to top off any barbecue feast
Techniques will include:
- Full range of barbecue fundamentals, from selecting the right charcoal and wood fuels to lighting techniques and advanced temperature control tricks
- Long and slow hot smoking
- Preservation methods including, cold-smoking, pickling, and curing
- How to prepare marinades, rubs, and sauces to accompany all kinds of barbecued dishes
- Foraging herbs, fruits, nuts, and fungi in season
All ingredients, equipment and recipes will be provided.
The School of Artisan Food is nestled in the heart of Sherwood Forest on The Welbeck Estate, Nottinghamshire, just a few minutes from the A1 and M1.
Select your subject of interest from the dates provided below.
Each of the bookable dates relates to the description below.
Friday 15th of March 2024 - Barbecue fundamentals: Sausages and burgers using direct heat methods.
Saturday 6th of April 2024 - Venison & game: Garnished with foraged herbs & fruits.
Saturday 18th of May 2024 - Ribs: How to prepare delicious ribs using beef, pork, and lamb.
Saturday 22nd of June 2024 - Celebration of Lamb: Lamb & mutton paired with wild-sourced seasonings.
Sunday 28th of July 2024 - Simply Steak: How to cook & serve melt-in-the-mouth steak delights, even from cheaper cuts.
Friday 2nd of August 2024 - It’s summer barbecue time! Get them smiling with family favourites, but taken to the next level.
Sunday 1st of September 2024 - Long & Slow cooking using charcoal & wood to extract the maximum flavour from a variety of meats.
Saturday 5th of October 2024 - Curing and Hot Smoking: Using dry and wet cures to create a variety of products ready for hot smoking.
Sunday 24th of November 2024 - All about the vegetables!
Friday 13th of December 2024 - Christmas Showstoppers: A banquet-worthy meat feast cooked with love on the humble barbecue.