Venison in a Day
9:30 Arrival, registration and refreshments
10:00 Course starts
13:00 - 14:00 Lunch
17:00 Course finishes
Learn how to butcher and prepare lean, sustainable venison on this hands-on course, using deer from the Welbeck Estate.
On this practical one-day course you’ll learn all about the flavour and versatility of venison, mastering the skill of butchering a deer and creating your own venison dishes.
Guided by Andrew Sharp and using both red and fallow deer from the Welbeck Estate you will learn:
- how to choose venison based on source, appearance, seasonality and breed
- how to joint a venison carcass
- the process of hanging and its importance
- the similarities between venison joints and cuts to those of other animals
- methods of larding and barding
- simple butchery techniques and knife skills
- how to seam butcher the venison haunch and saddle
- how to prepare venison shoulders and neck
You will take home with you a selection of Venison cuts from the day. The School of Artisan Food makes a conscious effort to reduce waste and packaging, so we encourage you to bring your own containers to transport these.
No previous game experience is necessary; just enthusiasm and a willingness to work alongside other food lovers.
Refreshments will be available throughout the day, as well as lunch prepared by our team of artisan chefs. All ingredients, equipment and recipes will be provided.
The School of Artisan Food is nestled in the heart of Sherwood Forest on The Welbeck Estate, Nottinghamshire, just a few minutes from the A1 and M1.