Creating a Microbakery - Theory and Practical
Monday - Friday: 9:00 - 17:30
Ian Waterland and Amy Warman & Toby Doy
Knead to Know More published in 2021 is the Real Bread Campaigns guide to success in baking Real Bread for your local community. The School of Artisan Food has developed this course to delve into this fact filled book and apply many of its key strategies, with hands on baking using a variety of micro bakery specific equipment, including a variety of ovens and mixers. Delivered by a team from The School with key skills and experience to provide an excellent learning experience.
Over the duration of the course the emphasis will be on bread interwoven with some patisserie elements Monday to Wednesday. Thursday will be focused on viennoiserie.
During this five day course you will explore:
- business models and planning
- money matters
- equipment options
- marketing and media relations
- Work/life balance
- production planning
Practical elements will include:
- Sourdough recipes
- Hybrid loaf recipes
- Viennoiserie recipes
- Patisserie recipes
- Batch production
The course is aimed at:
- People wanting to bake to a professional standard on a smaller scale
- Microbakers scaling up from a ‘kitchen’ enterprise
- Community Supported Bakery start ups
- Social entrepreneurs planning a microbakery
What you will need:
- Some experience of baking, although the key science and skills that underpin artisan food production will be covered
- A desire to both understand some of the theory and put this into practice by making the products
- Ideally at least the germ of an idea, although these are often developed or change quite dramatically during the course!
What is included:
- A School of Artisan Food tote bag and baking essentials kit
- A copy of Knead to Know More
- A year's Supporter status for The Real Bread Campaign
- All recipes and of course, the fruits of your labours
- A number of subsidised places designed to support people from under represented groups to start microbakeries
(Please note: copies of Knead to Know More and Supporter status can be paid forward to those in knead)
This course is in partnership with the Real Bread Campaign.
The School of Artisan Food is nestled in the heart of Sherwood Forest on The Welbeck Estate, Nottinghamshire, just a few minutes from the A1 and M1.
The School of Artisan Food makes a conscious effort to reduce waste and packaging. Students are encouraged to bring their own containers to transport their food home.
Refreshments will be available throughout the day, as well as a light lunch. All ingredients, equipment, and recipes will be provided.